- RSS Channel Showcase 2290486
- RSS Channel Showcase 8722219
- RSS Channel Showcase 1855053
- RSS Channel Showcase 2083565
Articles on this Page
- 03/01/18--08:09: _Superstition and th...
- 03/08/18--06:52: _Warrior Orders and ...
- 03/22/18--09:19: _Sacrificial Power a...
- 04/05/18--06:00: _Immersion, Kayfabe,...
- 04/12/18--08:41: _Hunting Monsters, F...
- 04/26/18--08:32: _Resource Management...
- 05/03/18--07:37: _Misread Magic #1 – ...
- 05/10/18--09:15: _Schools of Magic an...
- 05/17/18--06:00: _GLOW, Long-form jok...
- 05/23/18--06:00: _Relationship Maps a...
- 06/14/18--06:00: _Misread Magic #2 – ...
- 06/21/18--06:00: _Seven Magical Range...
- 07/04/18--05:00: _Scholastic Explorat...
- 07/12/18--05:00: _Hackers, Ultra-Trut...
- 08/08/18--08:57: _Event-Theming and M...
- 08/16/18--07:03: _The Bones of Kovach...
- 08/30/18--07:50: _5e Magic Item Patte...
- 09/05/18--08:46: _5e Magic Item Patte...
- 09/13/18--08:10: _5e Magic Item Patte...
- 09/27/18--08:44: _5e Magic Item Patte...
- 03/01/18--08:09: Superstition and the Starscarred Fighter
- 03/08/18--06:52: Warrior Orders and the Way of the Jade Serpent
- 03/22/18--09:19: Sacrificial Power and the Oath of Binding
- 04/05/18--06:00: Immersion, Kayfabe, and Tabletop Streaming
- 04/12/18--08:41: Hunting Monsters, Fancy Tools, and the Astral Covenant Ranger
- 04/26/18--08:32: Resource Management and the Starbroker Rogue
- 05/03/18--07:37: Misread Magic #1 – Fronds, Magic Mussel, and Musty Step
- 05/10/18--09:15: Schools of Magic and the Resonance Arcane Tradition
- 05/17/18--06:00: GLOW, Long-form jokes, and Storytelling Payoffs
- 05/23/18--06:00: Relationship Maps and Social Progress
- 06/14/18--06:00: Misread Magic #2 – Arcane Gait, Bear, and Feather Flail
- 06/21/18--06:00: Seven Magical Ranged Weapons That Aren’t Bows
- 07/04/18--05:00: Scholastic Exploration and National Treasure
- 07/12/18--05:00: Hackers, Ultra-Truth, and Tool Checks
- 08/08/18--08:57: Event-Theming and Moral Messaging
- 08/16/18--07:03: The Bones of Kovach – Alternate Crafting for 5e
- 08/30/18--07:50: 5e Magic Item Patterns for Alternate Crafting: Part One
- 09/05/18--08:46: 5e Magic Item Patterns for Alternate Crafting: Part Two
- 09/27/18--08:44: 5e Magic Item Patterns for Alternate Crafting: The A’s
Continuing our look at the world of the Zodiac and Far Realm, we dive into what fighters might look like in a world choc-full of magic. Starscarred Fighters are a class archetype for use with D&D 5e.
We continue to look at the class archetypes that inhabit this world where the Zodiac challenges the Far Realm. This time, we look at the monks who follow the Way of the Jade Serpent. The monks are able to manifest the lightning and poison of that great beast, learning more of its secrets as they progress.
Work on the world of the Zodiac and Far Realm continues with a bit of lore and a 5e archetype for paladin. The Oath of Binding is meant to represent paladins who seek out the dark items and creatures of the world, and seal them away to keep the world from harm.
A brief look at the nature of kayfabe in professional wrestling, and how the burgeoning tabletop streaming industry can take a few pages from their book to find ongoing success.
A discussion on hunting some monster, and a look at the Astral Covenant archetype for rangers for use with D&D 5e. This is part of the ongoing series on the Zodiac and the Far Realm.
The post Hunting Monsters, Fancy Tools, and the Astral Covenant Ranger appeared first on Tribality.
A look at some of the math and decisions behind the rogue class, and a new archetype for rogue as part of the ongoing series on the Zodiac and the Far Realm. The Starbroker Rogue is an enigmatic figure who creates a personal vault from a fallen star...which may have once belonged to a being.
Have you ever read something and had to do a double take? Of course you have. Now imagine that the magic spell you misread was a real thing. What exactly would it look like? Well, it might look something like this. Misread Magic #1 looks at Fronds, Magic Mussel, and Musty Step.
The post Misread Magic #1 – Fronds, Magic Mussel, and Musty Step appeared first on Tribality.
The last remaining class archetype for the continuing series on the Zodiac and the Far Realm. The Resonance Arcane Tradition for wizards focuses on creating crystals through alchemy that resonate with the eight schools of magic. Check out the schools of magic and the Resonance Arcane Tradition for use in 5e.
The post Schools of Magic and the Resonance Arcane Tradition appeared first on Tribality.
The second season of GLOW is around the corner, so let's look at a special moment from the first season and how we can learn great lessons for tabletop games from a single, long-form joke.
In the comments of this excellent article by Blake Ryan, I speak a little bit about some of the session zero stuff I use in the online game I run. As it turns out, the reason I haven’t yet written an article on this is because I thought I already did write an article on it. However, it doesn’t seem to be the case. I wrote one for the transmissions of Technoir, but apparently never did one for the thing […]
The second entry in Misread Magic terribly misreads arcane gate, fear, and feather fall. What sorts of things happen when you do so? Magic, that's what.
The post Misread Magic #2 – Arcane Gait, Bear, and Feather Flail appeared first on Tribality.
If you are like me, you love ranged weapons - but are tired of bows. If so, check out these seven magical ranged weapons for D&D 5e that aren't bows.
Happy 4th of July! Today, let's talk about how stealing the constitution is a great model scholastic exploration in tabletop games!
A look at the classic film Hackers, why it's much better than you think, and how it's depiction of hacking can provide an ultra-truth for 5e tools checks.
The last time I wrote about wrestling and tabletop games was back in April. With Summerslam 2018 just over a week away, it’s time for another. There have been a good pay-per-view, two middling ones, a bad one, and a single awful event since then. This article isn’t about the good pay-per-view – Money in the Bank 2018 – or the thus-far worst pay-per-view – Backlash 2018. Instead, it’s about one of the middling ones – Extreme Rules 2018. Some […]
An alternative non-character level based crafting system for D&D 5e, as well as a look at crafting in the world of the Far Realm and the Zodiac.
Three patterns for magic items from the D&D 5e SRD for characters interested in crafting. These can be used with the level-less crafting system presented here, or general use.
The post 5e Magic Item Patterns for Alternate Crafting: Part One appeared first on Tribality.
I don’t know if you know this, but there are a lot of magic items in D&D 5e. We’re talking into the hundreds. I was thinking I’d knock out a couple a week, but I obviously underestimated the amount of magic items in the SRF. I’m fully aware sixty some-odd articles on a single topic is probably too much for anyone to reasonably want to consume. No matter how interesting I think the content is, ain’t nobody got time for […]
The post 5e Magic Item Patterns for Alternate Crafting: Part Two appeared first on Tribality.
As it turns out, I was a liar last week when I said I would finish the A’s this week. Not because I just didn’t finish the A’s, either. Instead, I realize legendary, game-altering, strange items are still waiting for coverage. The pattern system should be flexible enough to tackle the items without much effort, while conveying a strong sense of purpose behind each of them. As luck would have it, the next three items alphabetically cover exactly the gap […]
The post 5e Magic Item Patterns for Alternate Crafting: The Strange and Legendary appeared first on Tribality.
Alright, here we go. We’re back, and we’re finishing up all the rest of the SRD A’s for magic items. It’s a long list, covering a lot of very cool items. As before, I include my notes as to my design ideas behind them, and how to vary the patterns up for your own game use. As always, the hope is these patterns can be a direct port into any game world, but I have been around long enough to […]
The post 5e Magic Item Patterns for Alternate Crafting: The A’s appeared first on Tribality.